Saturday, August 22, 2026

What did you do on your vacation?

In the last note, I wrote about a good vacation - and we had one. As hoped, I enjoyed ten days that felt like a rehearsal for retirement.

And yet, it wasn't as quiet as I had hoped. Here are the work-related issues that found me while I was away: 

  • A young mom reached out to schedule a baptism. Hooray! 
  • I received four notices of the death of a member who moved away many years ago.
  • The daughter of the deceased requested a funeral for her mother. Completely understood!
  • A couple who didn't know I was away asked to meet and plan their upcoming wedding.
  • I was notified about a guest organist for an upcoming worship service.
  • A church member with significant financial need asked for assistance.
  • Someone whom I've not seen for a while asked to meet for coffee and conversation.
  • A controversial presbytery decision prompted texts, emails, and long phone calls.
  • Two different church members reached out to schedule meals with me.
  • Two of the lay pastors that I mentor asked to meet with me.
  • Two friends in far-off states wanted to discuss the early retirement of a national church leader.
  • The sanctuary piano needs a fall tuning and I forget that I agreed to set that up. 
  • Volunteers for a church program needed me (?) to connect them to one another, even though I don't manage the program.
As I survey the list, there are a few items that (a) I did to myself, or (b) could not be neglected. I get that. Yet the ubiquity of text messaging and cell phone calls makes it difficult to be away, And a pastor who needs to be needed is easily hooked. 

I will share this list when our church leaders create a transition team this fall. By writing all of this down, it's obvious that I carry a lot on my shoulders, even when I'm officially off the clock.. In months to come, I will need to be gracious and clear in giving it all away.

Lord, have mercy.

No comments: